Azure - Detailed wire work/gallery underneath an expensive piece.
Bridal Jewelry - Any jewelry relating to the state of marriage ,i.e. Engagement rings, wedding bands, wraps, anniversary bands, jackets Cabochon/Cabouchon - a domed smooth polished stone with a flat bottom.
- Anniversary - usually an all-around pattern in a band like silhouette, often containing multiple diamonds and/or colored stones
- Wedding/Engagement - solitaire engagement ring, engagement 'sets', wedding band Solitaire Engagement Ring - featuring single large center stone, usually a diamond
- Bridal set - Set of rings including mounted solitaire engagement ring and matching wedding band
- Jacket - A decorative ring which enhances a solitaire when it is inserted into the jacket from the top
- Wraps - a decorative ring which enhances a solitaire, when it worn next to or intertwined with the wrap
- Eternity Bands/ET Bands/ET Rings - See Anniversary ring.
Buff Top Stone - Stone that is smooth and bright on top.
Collection - A line of jewelry, usually with a cohesive theme
Color/Colored Stone Jewelry - Jewelry containing precious or semi-precious colored gemstones
Granulation - Ancient technique of delicately adhering beads of metal to a metal surface without using solder.
Hand Fabricated - Made by hand. Usually built directly in metal
Line - A group of pieces sold by a company
Master-model - a model from which other models are made, so that multiple variations of a piece can be produced more easily
Model - a prototype, usually wax or metal, from which molds and mass-produced copies of a piece are made
Mokume Gane - A woodgrain effect obtained by the laminating of many thin layers of metals of different colors. The resulting sheet is then deformed by various methods such as punching from the back and then filed smooth which reveals a play of colors and patterns from the different metal colors being thus exposed.
Prototype - The first working sample or model of a piece of jewelry
Sample - A finished version of a piece of jewelry
T.W. ("Total Weight") - The total carat weight of a group of stones.
Wax-Set/Cast In Place/Cast In Situ/CSS/CIS - Stones that are placed into their settings when the piece is still in wax. They are then invested and cast along with the wax. This avoids setting costs and labor and is now extensively used in mass production.